OK, where's our talking apps??

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Wed Jul 25 21:21:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, July 25, 2012 00:29, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 07/24/2012 05:34 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>
> <snippage>
>
>> I'm sorry Ric, but speech technology is actually *very* hard and what
>> you
>> now know as Siri is the result of over 20 years of research in
>> artificial
>> intelligence, originally intended as a military project for a smart
>> soldier's assistant. And most of the technology is really not open
>> source
>> and heavy encumbered by patents.
>>

>> But did you have a technical support question or did you just want to
>> rant? ;-)
>
> Both! If SIRI can run on a stinkin' cell phone, is there something in
> the works for us?? Again, the Unity scheme seems to be made for it's
> usage and I keep expecting to see it happen. It's just lacking it.
>
> Funny thing that if the taxpayers paid for it's initial development, I
> would like to think that either we get paid back from the profits on it,
> or it become open source.

I live in Belgium, so it didn't come out of my taxes, but L&H tech was
from Belgium and afaik independent from SRI/Nuance/... until the stocks
got inflated and then they went bankrupt.

> I know, I really don't live in this world. I'll go and check out Iris to
> see what is what. This is just a general shout-out to see if anyone
> knows if anything like it is coming down the pike. Ubuntu would become
> really kEwL over night. :) Ric

Agreed but it is not a technical question. Some would say that there other
places that are better suited to voice your opinion. ;-)