OK, where's our talking apps??

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:37:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

> On Wed, July 25, 2012 00:29, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 07/24/2012 05:34 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>>
>> <snippage>
>>
>>> I'm sorry Ric, but speech technology is actually *very* hard and what
>>> you
>>> now know as Siri is the result of over 20 years of research in
>>> artificial
>>> intelligence, originally intended as a military project for a smart
>>> soldier's assistant. And most of the technology is really not open
>>> source
>>> and heavy encumbered by patents.
>>>

>>> But did you have a technical support question or did you just want to
>>> rant? ;-)
>>
>> Both! If SIRI can run on a stinkin' cell phone, is there something in
>> the works for us?? Again, the Unity scheme seems to be made for it's
>> usage and I keep expecting to see it happen. It's just lacking it.
>>
>> Funny thing that if the taxpayers paid for it's initial development, I
>> would like to think that either we get paid back from the profits on it,
>> or it become open source.
>
> I live in Belgium, so it didn't come out of my taxes, but L&H tech was
> from Belgium and afaik independent from SRI/Nuance/... until the stocks
> got inflated and then they went bankrupt.
>
>> I know, I really don't live in this world. I'll go and check out Iris to
>> see what is what. This is just a general shout-out to see if anyone
>> knows if anything like it is coming down the pike. Ubuntu would become
>> really kEwL over night. :) Ric
>
> Agreed but it is not a technical question. Some would say that there other
> places that are better suited to voice your opinion. ;-)

<moderator>

Discussion of desired features is reasonable subject-matter for this
list.  I'm not likely to quibble about the style of the discussion so
long as it's civil and not too repetitious, nor about the likelihood
of the requested feature being implemented.

>User lists
>The ubuntu-users list is where most technical support discussions occur, and where users of Ubuntu meet to >discuss new features and ideas they would like to see in Ubuntu. NB: this is a very high-traffic mailing list, >generating around 200 messages a day. If you want to avoid a full inbox, try the Ubuntu web forums.

</moderator>

I don't think the volume is as high lately, but I don't count them.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD