focus issue lost and cannot regain under wxGTK 2.8

Bill Pollifrone bpollifrone at finarta.net
Wed Jan 25 17:02:48 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am a developer on a project that uses a full screen wxpython 2.8 GTK
application in a kiosk manner on Ubuntu 10.04LTS. So, the window has
no title bar, menu or borders and takes up the entire screen and is
always on top. The mouse pointer cursor is made to be invisible
(wx.CURSOR_BLANK) so that it is not visible when a user interacts with
the touchscreen hardware.

Occasionally, another program window may pop-up. I have a theory that
it may be the update-notifier, but don't have concrete proof of that.
The problem I'm experiencing is that while my application remains on
top, it has the focus lost by the pop-up window and then cannot gain
the focus even by clicking on the visible window.  If I change to
standard window style like a desktop application I have seem to be
able to get the focus back easily, however I've not done extensive
testing in this manner. My  question is if anyone has experienced
this, and is it caused by the setup of the application components in
this manner or can recommend a mailing list that would deal with this
sort of issue.

Thanks for any input,

- Bill