How do I execute a .run file in Linux Mint 11?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 24 06:43:18 UTC 2012

On 24/01/12 09:26, jimmckenzie at earthlink.net wrote:
> GNU EMACS 23 shows me the script and that's it.
>
> How do I actually use the file.
>
> I'm trying to install the latest Nvidia drivers (Version 290.10) for my GeForce GT 430. I can't find anything online about it. Everything is about older Distro's, not one thing about Mint 11 or Ubuntu for that matter.
>

> Any / all help will be appreciated.
>
> James R McKenzie

Assuming that you have downloaded this nVidia driver file into your
Downloads directory in your home directory, reboot your computer and
when the Grub menu appears type into the kernel command line options
"init 3" ( don't wait too long before typing the first letter "i"
otherwise the system will simply continue with the boot process). When
you get the prompt login as root. Then you type in " cd
/home/<yourloginname>/Downloads" and you will be taken to the directory
where the nVidia driver is sitting. When there, type "ls -l" to see the
files in that directory. If the nVidia driver file is the only one in
this directory, then type "sh nVidia<TAB>" and the full name of the
driver will show up. Hit RETURN and the driver will then get compiled
for your system. Read what comes up on the screen after you press RETURN
and respond accordingly. AFter the driver has been compiled, type "init
5" and you will be taken to the normal login screen for the system.

Now, before you do all this you need to make sure that you have the
source of the kernel you are using installed as well as the kernel
symlinks and possibly one or two other related files. In recent times
what needs to be installed has changed, and you should read the
instruction on the nVidia site.  If you don't have the necessary kernel
files installed or your Ubuntu won't tell you what they should be and
doesn't have them in the Software Manager (because Ubuntu doesn't think
that you have enough brains to know about or use the kernel related
files) then you are using the wrong distro.

BC

--
But when you take arms from people, then you start to upset them, you
show you do not trust them because you are frightened or cagey. Niccolo