video problems in Ubuntu

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 19 03:02:03 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 06:45 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 19/01/12 04:11, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>> On 01/18/2012 12:42 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> On 18/01/12 11:54, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>
>>> [pruned]
>>>

>>> Some typos ARE important and not to be ignored by the poster :-( .

>>> What I should have typed here is, "sudo fdisk -l...." and not
>>> "...fdsck....". Sorry about that :-( .
>>>
>>> BC
>>>
>> I did as you advised and I found that I have a 2 1/2 G swap file on
>> my Ubuntu drive. I am taking video and sound off of a usb hard disk
>> but am not writing to it. and it has no swap drive.  That maybe could
>> be a problem?  It is a media drive.
>
> What do you mean by "media drive"? All HDs (et al) are "media" drives.
>
>>    I brought in my computer from my workshop it has xp on it. I
>> installed Premier on it and but the video I had downloaded on it.
>> Premier will render or export which ever we want to call it, but it
>> takes eleven hours to do it. The linux video editors all say it
>> should take about 2 1/2 hrs. I am wondering if the programs are just
>> trying to render too fast for my machine?? I am showing 100% cpu
>> usage?  I will post to Cinelerra to ask this same question and if
>> this might be the problem. I'll  want to know if can I slowdown the
>> rendering somehow.     I was amazed that it took so long in xp and so
>> fast in Ubuntu.  The shop computer is 2.280 Ghz while the one I have
>> been working on is 2.200 Ghz  So the one running Premeir is a little
>> faster.
>>                                                      Doug
>

> I really do not know what is causing your problem but I can only
> suggest the following from what you wrote above (and earlier).
>
> 1. When you were using Linux the system suddenly froze on you (a few
> times I believe). What I suspect is that there is a corruption on your
> Linux file system (OR it could be bad RAM) which caused the initial
> crash which would have corrupted your file system after which
> subsequent freezes only further corrupted the file system. What you
> need to do is to make sure that the file system is "clean" and do this
> you need to run e2fsck [WITHOUT the '-p' parameter] on the partition
> which has your system on it. If you don't know how to run e2fsck then
> ask. BTW, which file system is being used on your Linux system- ext2,
> ext3,.....?
>
> 2. Re the difference in the times between Premier you installed on XP
> (which XP- Professional, Home? doesn't matter really) and Linux. Did
> you defragment Windows before you started the job and before doing so
> did you get rid of all the crud which Windows creates on its disc
> space? Other thing, XP only supports USB#1 and cannot handle USB#2
> unless it has been upgraded to at least SP2. Which USB does your
> external USB HD have - USB#2 (or maybe even USB#3 which is now all the
> rage)?
>
> BC

       I don't want to run Premier it's pretty old  way back 6.5 and it
doesn't do a lot of what I want to do.  I was just curious to see if it
would export or render the file. It does have sp2 and usb2.  I had
forgotten about having to defrag windows so of course it hasn't been done.
         What I was referring to with the usb hard drive on the Ubuntu
machine was that the drive is flagged as a media drive. I don't know how
or why that came to be??  It is a storage drive on my machine.?   I had
several crashed a couple months ago when We hyad an ice storm. Theremay
be software damge.     I'll let you know what I find.     Thanks,
      Doug