video problems in Ubuntu

Basil Chupin blchupin at
Wed Jan 18 23:45:27 UTC 2012

On 19/01/12 04:11, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 12:42 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 18/01/12 11:54, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> [pruned]
>> Some typos ARE important and not to be ignored by the poster :-( .
>>> Another way, at least to see if you do have a swap partition and how
>>> large it is use the (?)Disc Manager - the Partitioning tool - which
>>> will show what partitions you have. Or use on a command line in a
>>> terminal, "sudo fdsck -l /dev/sda[@]" which will also show you all
>>> the partitions.
>> What I should have typed here is, "sudo fdisk -l...." and not
>> "...fdsck....". Sorry about that :-( .
>> BC
> I did as you advised and I found that I have a 2 1/2 G swap file on my
> Ubuntu drive. I am taking video and sound off of a usb hard disk but
> am not writing to it. and it has no swap drive.  That maybe could be a
> problem?  It is a media drive.

What do you mean by "media drive"? All HDs (et al) are "media" drives.

>    I brought in my computer from my workshop it has xp on it. I
> installed Premier on it and but the video I had downloaded on it.
> Premier will render or export which ever we want to call it, but it
> takes eleven hours to do it. The linux video editors all say it should
> take about 2 1/2 hrs. I am wondering if the programs are just trying
> to render too fast for my machine?? I am showing 100% cpu usage?  I
> will post to Cinelerra to ask this same question and if this might be
> the problem. I'll  want to know if can I slowdown the rendering
> somehow.     I was amazed that it took so long in xp and so fast in
> Ubuntu.  The shop computer is 2.280 Ghz while the one I have been
> working on is 2.200 Ghz  So the one running Premeir is a little
> faster.
>                                                      Doug

I really do not know what is causing your problem but I can only suggest
the following from what you wrote above (and earlier).

1. When you were using Linux the system suddenly froze on you (a few
times I believe). What I suspect is that there is a corruption on your
Linux file system (OR it could be bad RAM) which caused the initial
crash which would have corrupted your file system after which subsequent
freezes only further corrupted the file system. What you need to do is
to make sure that the file system is "clean" and do this you need to run
e2fsck [WITHOUT the '-p' parameter] on the partition which has your
system on it. If you don't know how to run e2fsck then ask. BTW, which
file system is being used on your Linux system- ext2, ext3,.....?

2. Re the difference in the times between Premier you installed on XP
(which XP- Professional, Home? doesn't matter really) and Linux. Did you
defragment Windows before you started the job and before doing so did
you get rid of all the crud which Windows creates on its disc space?
Other thing, XP only supports USB#1 and cannot handle USB#2 unless it
has been upgraded to at least SP2. Which USB does your external USB HD
have - USB#2 (or maybe even USB#3 which is now all the rage)?

It is in the nature of things that every time you try to avoid one danger you run into another.
                            Niccolo Machiavelli