Wanted - application to enter data into a database using a 'grid view'

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jan 18 01:04:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 13:37 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> One would have thought this would be the usual way to enter data into a
> database, especially when starting a project, but I can't find
> *anything* that allows me to do this remotely efficiently.
>
> All I want is a simple data entry grid/matrix that shows me the data in
> the columns and rows of a table and allows me to edit existing data or
> add new data to an empty row at the bottom.  I want to be able to simply
> TAB along the row, having to click on each field and then enter the data
> spoils the simplicity.
>
> I have to say that MS Access seems to have got this right, if you simply
> view an Access table it appears in exactly the format I want by default.
>
> I'd prefer this for sqlite3 but mySql or even postgresql would be OK.
>
> Any suggestions anyone?
>
> I've investigated most of the database *management* programs such as
> sqlitebrowser and sqliteman (and similar for mySql) but they concentrate
> on database administration and creating SQL queries, they really aren't
> very good at simply entering data.
>
> There's kexi and knoda but firstly they're both KDE based and I don't
> really want to pull in all of KDE just to run them and I'm not sure
> they'll do what I want anyway.  When I tried kexi just recently it
> firstly didn't know about sqlite and secondly crashed when I tried to
> use it on another database.
----
you can use 'Base' from LibreOffice (OpenOffice) - it's the database
module and it's somewhat similar to Access. That said, you can probably
use the spreadsheet program too if you tie it to a specific table on a
database.

I have only used Base with postgresql but it shouldn't be a problem with
either mysql or sqlite and I think there is a built-in database that you
can use instead if you want.

Craig

believed to be clean.