Wanted - application to enter data into a database using a 'grid view'

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jan 17 13:37:27 UTC 2012

One would have thought this would be the usual way to enter data into a
database, especially when starting a project, but I can't find
*anything* that allows me to do this remotely efficiently.

All I want is a simple data entry grid/matrix that shows me the data in
the columns and rows of a table and allows me to edit existing data or
add new data to an empty row at the bottom.  I want to be able to simply
TAB along the row, having to click on each field and then enter the data
spoils the simplicity.

I have to say that MS Access seems to have got this right, if you simply
view an Access table it appears in exactly the format I want by default.

I'd prefer this for sqlite3 but mySql or even postgresql would be OK.

Any suggestions anyone?

I've investigated most of the database *management* programs such as
sqlitebrowser and sqliteman (and similar for mySql) but they concentrate
on database administration and creating SQL queries, they really aren't
very good at simply entering data.

There's kexi and knoda but firstly they're both KDE based and I don't
really want to pull in all of KDE just to run them and I'm not sure
they'll do what I want anyway.  When I tried kexi just recently it
firstly didn't know about sqlite and secondly crashed when I tried to
use it on another database.

--
Chris Green