Good mono spaced fonts for terminal windows - what do you use?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Jan 17 15:18:18 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-15, Mike Kupfer wrote:

> Adam Funk wrote:
>
>> On 2011-12-20, Yorvyk wrote:

> [...]
>> > Ubuntu Mono
>>
>> How do I set my xterm and emacs to use that?  I have the font
>> installed, but I can't find it in xfontsel, so I can't figure out what
>> to put in my ~/.Xdefaults file.
>
> Ubuntu Mono is a TrueType font; I don't think xfontsel displays TrueType
> fonts.

True, according to man xterm (I hadn't known where to look until I
came across the "faceName" stuff in the links at the bottom of my
post):

       faceName (class FaceName)
               Specify the pattern for scalable fonts selected from the FreeType library if support for that library was compiled into xterm.  There is no default value.

               If not specified, or if there is no match for both normal and bold fonts, xterm uses the bitmap font and related resources.

               It is possible to select suitable bitmap fonts using a script such as this:

                   #!/bin/sh
                   FONT=`xfontsel -print`
                   test -n "$FONT" && xfd -fn "$FONT"

               However (even though xfd accepts a “-fa” option to denote FreeType fonts), xfontsel has not been similarly extended.  As a workaround, you may try

                   fc-list :scalable=true:spacing=mono: family

               to find a list of scalable fixed-pitch fonts which may be used for the faceName resource value.

> For Emacs 23, you can set the font via the menubar (Options>Set Default
> Font...).  Click on Options>Save Options to save the setting for the
> next time you start Emacs.
>
> For xterm, I'm not sure.  There are references to TrueType in the man
> page, so you could check there.  Also, Googling for
>
>     xterm truetype
>
> brought up several hits that look like they might help you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_resources#Xterm_resources

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Terminal

Thanks for the tips!