xkb map difficulties

Rovanion Luckey rovanion.luckey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 02:18:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

Every time I do an installation of Linux I switch out the file
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/se to one which I have modified [1] to include
characters commonly used in programming when Alt-Gr and some character key
is pressed. Normally this works dandy fine and after saving the file I
switch to QWERTY with setxkbmap se and then back to Dvorak, which is now
modified in the file, with setxkbmap se -variant dvorak.

But upon installing the Alpha of Ubuntu 12.04 and doing the above
mentioned, nothing changed.

To clearify: I can switch layouts very well including variants of language
layouts. The issue is that even though the file on the filesystem has
changed the rest of the system hasn't noticed. I've gone trough all the
graphical interfaces and they disagree aswell with the file.

So I'm wondering if anything changed in regards to how keyboard layouts are
handled in 12.04. Must the files be compiled in some way or has the
location changed and this file that I'm chinging is just left there as a
dead file?

[1] https://gist.github.com/1197113
--
www.twitter.com/Rovanion