Lightweight netbook distros

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:27:57 UTC 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, folks!

I've had a look at Lubuntu 11.10's netbook interface under VMware. (I
am actually running it on a few older, low-spec machines already.)

It's definitely an option.

I also tried Meego 1.2 and ChromiumOS under VMware. (I used the free
version of ChromeOS from Hexxeh: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ )

Neither installed correctly or would start up. :¬(

Lubuntu is quite snappy but I couldn't find a download for the alpha
of 12.04 - I don't know if it even exists yet.

I have discovered that from a local shop that sells 2nd hand PC kit, I
should be able to stick another 512MB of RAM in my netbook for £5. I
think I'll try that first and see if Precise Pangolin is usable in 1GB
and if so, I'll stay with that. If not, Lubuntu it is.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884