Lightweight netbook distros

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Jan 7 17:36:29 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 10:27 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, folks!
>
> I've had a look at Lubuntu 11.10's netbook interface under VMware. (I
> am actually running it on a few older, low-spec machines already.)
>
> It's definitely an option.
>
> I also tried Meego 1.2 and ChromiumOS under VMware. (I used the free
> version of ChromeOS from Hexxeh: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ )
>
> Neither installed correctly or would start up. :¬(
>
> Lubuntu is quite snappy but I couldn't find a download for the alpha
> of 12.04 - I don't know if it even exists yet.
>
> I have discovered that from a local shop that sells 2nd hand PC kit, I
> should be able to stick another 512MB of RAM in my netbook for £5. I
> think I'll try that first and see if Precise Pangolin is usable in 1GB
> and if so, I'll stay with that. If not, Lubuntu it is.

I have an Asus EeePC. Atom processor. I upgraded the ram to 2Gigs and
put in a 64 gig SSD. I originally had Ebuntu installed and liked it very
much. I waited and waited for Aurora to be released but finally had to
give up. I installed full Kubuntu and have been happy with it. It still
boots quick and applications load and run just fine. How much of that is
due to the SSD instead of a mechanical hard drive is hard to say. It
seems like it is faster than my machines with regular hard drives.

Having said all that I don't use it for any heavy lifting. For me it's
use is mostly if I go to a library for genealogy research, reading
e-books and other light duty use. I have a full size laptop and desktops
to do the heavy lifting.

If you have the drive space and memory why not just go with a full OS.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the  people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick  Henry -