How to setup DNS server list on a static IP Ubuntu server?

Knute Johnson ubuntu at knutejohnson.com
Tue Jan 3 17:05:36 UTC 2012

On 1/2/2012 11:53 PM, sktsee wrote:
> The apt-cache description for the resolvconf package says you should
> look at the README file in /usr/share/doc/resolvconf for detailed
> instructions. Although I don't use resolvconf, I did examine the package
> and found that it employs debconf. This means that running "sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" should step you through series of screens
> for setting config options.

Thanks for the heads up on the docs.  I tried running the reconfigure
but there is an error;

update-rc.d: warning: resolvconf stop runlevel arguments (none) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (0 6)

It did however put the DNS server addresses into my resolv.conf but if I
restart the machine I don't have any DNS resolution until I do an ifdown
and ifup, then it works fine.

Any more insights would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really not sure why you would want this automatic resolvconf in a
server installation.  Maybe I should just uninstall it.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson