How to setup DNS server list on a static IP Ubuntu server?

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 07:53:06 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 06:36 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I had a power hit that required me to reload my Ubuntu server. In the
> process I had it running on my local network with DHCP until I got
> everything configured. Now I put it up on my wild IP and have had some
> difficulty configuring it back to static IP with domain names not
> resolving. Ubuntu server 11.10.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>
> This was where you used to put the DNS servers in the older version of
> Ubuntu. So I looked in the /etc/network/interfaces file and found;
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 216.240.58.140
> netmask 255.255.255.248
> network 216.240.58.0
> broadcast 216.240.58.143
> gateway 216.240.58.137
> # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
> dns-nameservers
> dns-search com
>
> Putting the DNS servers on the 'dns-nameservers' line appears to work
> but there are more files, /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base, head, tail
> and original. original has this in it;
>
> domain ljr-int-wan.frazmtn.com
> search ljr-int-wan.frazmtn.com
> nameserver 4.2.2.1
> nameserver 4.2.2.2
>
> The domain and search were apparently found by the installation program
> as that was the correct name for the outside. I did put those name
> servers in when I installed too.
>
> The documentation at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html
> is old and doesn't mention any of these new files or the
> /sbin/resolvconf program.
>
> Does anybody know how it is really supposed to be set up and managed? Or
> do you know where there is some documentation that applies?
>
> Thanks,

The apt-cache description for the resolvconf package says you should
look at the README file in /usr/share/doc/resolvconf for detailed
instructions. Although I don't use resolvconf, I did examine the package
and found that it employs debconf. This means that running "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" should step you through series of screens
for setting config options.

--
sktsee