Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

Joseph Loo jloo20111002 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 20:10:36 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 11:41 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 2 January 2012 19:35, Joseph Loo<jloo20111002 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> That's not an option in 11.10 or later.

>>> I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
>>> GNOME 2 did.
>>>
>>> GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
>>> install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
>>> is not coming back.
>>>
>>> If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
>>> have already installed 11.10, then do:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>>
>>> ... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
>>> "xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
>>> choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.
>>>

>> use your favorite package manager and down load gnome-shell. When you are in
>> the login, each user has wheel that allows you to pick different shells. I
>> use gnome - classic.
> That's true - that is called Fallback Mode. It may be removed in a
> future version of GNOME 3. It is not the same as GNOME 2, although it
> looks similar - you can't use GNOME 2 applets and it can't be
> customised as much as GNOME 2, nor in the same ways.
>
> Xubuntu is lighter-weight, very customisable, can run GNOME 2 applets,
> and is not expected to disappear in the near future. I reckon it's a
> better option, which is why I recommended it - but you are correct,
> GNOME 3 in Fallback Mode /is/ an option.
>
>> I find that Unity with a small screena whole bunch  size, e.g.
>> netbook. makes it very hard to navigate.
> That seems strange to me - that's what it was originally designed for,
> and in my experience, it works well, leaving more of that precious
> vertical screen space free than GNOME 2.

It doeds not work very well. If you load zindus on thunderbird, it cuts
off the bottom. Making it difficult to see.  I usually run multiple
windows at a time. It is constantly making it fullo screen hiding the
windows. In addition, you have to keep searching for the different apps
all the time. it makes it difficult to find. @ the beginning it requires
searching all the time to bring the terminal line command. The window
system is 2x2 making it hard to maneuver. Granted, I could get use to
it, but that are exta key strokes I have to remember on where to maneuver.