Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:41:18 UTC 2012

On 2 January 2012 19:35, Joseph Loo <jloo20111002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01 at att.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.
>>
>> That's not an option in 11.10 or later.
>>
>>> I don't
>>> like Gnome it takes up to much desktop and I have a 27 inch monitor.
>>
>> I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
>> GNOME 2 did.
>>
>> GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
>> install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
>> is not coming back.
>>
>> If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
>> have already installed 11.10, then do:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>
>> ... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
>> "xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
>> choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.
>>

> use your favorite package manager and down load gnome-shell. When you are in
> the login, each user has wheel that allows you to pick different shells. I
> use gnome - classic.

That's true - that is called Fallback Mode. It may be removed in a
future version of GNOME 3. It is not the same as GNOME 2, although it
looks similar - you can't use GNOME 2 applets and it can't be
customised as much as GNOME 2, nor in the same ways.

Xubuntu is lighter-weight, very customisable, can run GNOME 2 applets,
and is not expected to disappear in the near future. I reckon it's a
better option, which is why I recommended it - but you are correct,
GNOME 3 in Fallback Mode /is/ an option.

> I find that Unity with a small screen size, e.g.
> netbook. makes it very hard to navigate.

That seems strange to me - that's what it was originally designed for,
and in my experience, it works well, leaving more of that precious
vertical screen space free than GNOME 2.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884