Wireless routers and dynamic DNS

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:04:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 12:57 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
>> to work with this.
>>
>> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
>> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
>> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
>> choices that I might otherwise use.
>>
>> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
>> that work with other vendors?
>>

> I'm 'baffled' as to what you are referring to. Do you think that you
> require a specific router to update dyndns.org? If so I suggest you read
> up on ddclient:
>
> http://dyn.com/support/clients/
>  http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/
>  http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/ddclient/
>   http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS
>  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ddclient
>  http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ddclient.8.html
>
> I also recommend using the ddclient package/software rather than
> attempting to rely on router firmware. Quite often I've seen router
> firmware to off and spam the dns update server... result is that they
> cut off your service until you 'explain' what happened.

Thanks for the links.  I did indeed think updates had to be done by
the router.  It didn't occur to me that a machine behind a NAT router
could easily discover the current IP leased to the router.  I knew
(and still do) that I was baffled, so much so I'm not certain what I'm
baffled about.  This continues to be the case, but it's getting a bit
better.

I'm in the midst of transferring domain registration to dyndns, since
my existing registration will expire in 2 months anyway.  This is
included in the price of the "standard" package, and about matches
what I've been paying for domain registration alone.  I'm working on
transferring the domain registration now.

It looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD