Wireless routers and dynamic DNS

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 28 03:22:33 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 12:57 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
> to work with this.
>
> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
> choices that I might otherwise use.
>
> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
> that work with other vendors?

I'm 'baffled' as to what you are referring to. Do you think that you
require a specific router to update dyndns.org? If so I suggest you read
up on ddclient:

http://dyn.com/support/clients/
 http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/
  http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/ddclient/
   http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS
 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ddclient
  http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ddclient.8.html

I also recommend using the ddclient package/software rather than
attempting to rely on router firmware. Quite often I've seen router
firmware to off and spam the dns update server... result is that they
cut off your service until you 'explain' what happened.