Solved: Re: ubuntu got set in some unknown asian language

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:20:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff at fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 05:18 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff at fastmail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > The language-selector program can be started by running the command
>> > gnome-language-selector
>> > So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
>> > finds that program.
>> Yes I had tried that.This thing was suggested to me
>> but unfortunately doing any kind of changes there which were nothing
>> but hit and trial for example see following snapshot
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704443014619612178
>> I have no idea what thing I had clicked and what was the effect of it
>> due to those key strokes.
>> Discussed here
>> I noticed in files
>> /etc/environment
>> $HOME/.profile
>> following lines were present
>>
>> export LANGUAGE="zh_CN:en"
>> export LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>> export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>> export LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>>
>> and in /etc/default/locale only US English line was present as you can
>> see this snapshot
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
>>
>> I went to those files and deleted these extra lines of Chinese
>> Language now I am able to resolve this problem and things are back on
>> track.
>> However specially want to mention that gnome-language-selector did not
>> helped at all.
>> Sharing this for future archives hope this solution will help some one
>> in future.
>
> Well (also for future reference) all you had to do was drag and drop
> your preferred language in the list in gnome-language-selector to the
> top. I can see in your screenshot you had English still as the 2nd
> language, underneath the Asian language in the list. English or
> English(Australia) should've been the top.
>
> Of course if you prefer you can edit the 'export Language' and 'export
> LC_XX' lines in ~/.profile directly too, since that's all
> gnome-language-selector does anyway to change the active language, but
> it's nicer using gnome-language-selector.

See here is the problem I had for the first time opened the language
selector box.
Which was displayed in Chinese.I had to drag and drop it I will be
able to understand only if
the message displayed was in English.Hope you got my point.I had no
clue what to do with that so I had
to manually edit the files.However finding the spot where exactly was
the problem (Solution to which I posted)
was not so easy as it appears in post.