Solved: Re: ubuntu got set in some unknown asian language

Tim Edwards liststuff at fastmail.com.au
Thu Feb 2 12:20:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 05:18 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff at fastmail.com.au>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 01:10 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> >> ok I am a SOHO user.No geek kind of stuff.You can understand from my
> >> questions easily.
> >> /etc/default/locale is already there to en_US.UTF-8 but this problem
> >> is still there
> >> http://askubuntu.com/questions/100684/unwanted-chinese-language-got-set-in-system-settings
> >> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
> >
> > The language-selector program can be started by running the command
> > gnome-language-selector
> > So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
> > finds that program.
> Yes I had tried that.This thing was suggested to me
> but unfortunately doing any kind of changes there which were nothing
> but hit and trial for example see following snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704443014619612178
> I have no idea what thing I had clicked and what was the effect of it
> due to those key strokes.
> Discussed here
> I noticed in files
> /etc/environment
> $HOME/.profile
> following lines were present
>
> export LANGUAGE="zh_CN:en"
> export LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.UTF-8"
> export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
> export LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>
> and in /etc/default/locale only US English line was present as you can
> see this snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
>
> I went to those files and deleted these extra lines of Chinese
> Language now I am able to resolve this problem and things are back on
> track.
> However specially want to mention that gnome-language-selector did not
> helped at all.
> Sharing this for future archives hope this solution will help some one
> in future.

Well (also for future reference) all you had to do was drag and drop
your preferred language in the list in gnome-language-selector to the
top. I can see in your screenshot you had English still as the 2nd
language, underneath the Asian language in the list. English or
English(Australia) should've been the top.

Of course if you prefer you can edit the 'export Language' and 'export
LC_XX' lines in ~/.profile directly too, since that's all
gnome-language-selector does anyway to change the active language, but
it's nicer using gnome-language-selector.

Tim