Needed fully functional [NOT 'Live'(sic)] Linux on USB stick - was [Re: Ubuntu on pendrive]

Default User hunguponcontent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 03:56:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:22, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 February 2012 01:39, Sam Sebastian <sebastiansam55 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > the problem with this is that the one time i did it, when i was really
> new
> > to ubuntu/linux in general it install GRUB on the USB and the computer
> would
> > not boot at all without having the USB stick plugged in
>
> Please /bottom/ post on the list.
>
> You have the problem the wrong way around here.
>
> GRUB on the hard disk is the problem; GRUB on the USB  stick is what you
> want.
>
> If GRUB is on the hard disk *and it points to a Linux installation on
> the hard disk*, no problem.
>
> If GRUB is on the hard disk *and it points to a Linux installation on
> the Flash drive*, then the machine will not boot if the Flash drive is
> not connected.
>
> If GRUB is on the Flash drive and it points to a Linux installation on
> the Flash drive as well, no problem. The hard disk is not affected.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

1) I only suggested FAT 32 since it works, but in the past I have had
difficulties writing iso's to USB thumb drives unless they were first
formatted FAT 32.  Also, in the past I recall reading instructions that
would often say to format using FAT 32.  Of course, the Ubuntu installation
program will allow the user to select whatever filesystem the want, and I
do not disagree with your recommendations.

2) I recently did an install of Ubuntu 11.10 on an 8gb flash drive.  IIRC,
I did:

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean

but I did NOT do:

apt-get autoremove
apt-get purge

I ended up with only about 399mb free, not enough for my purposes.

That's why I said I didn't think 8gb would be enough.

3)  I just can't resist:
"I have a dream; that one day all of God's children will be judged by the
content of their character, not by whether they top-post or bottom post."

:-)