firefox not using acroread

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 17 13:27:16 UTC 2012

On Monday 17 December 2012 08:19:33 Colin Law did opine:

> On 16 December 2012 22:48, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Mmmm, seems evince is installed, and runs fine from a terminal, but
> > there is not a .desktop, for it, nor anything else in Desktop but
> > wine and sketchup.  Nor is there anything linking to it in
> > /etc/alternatives. Weird.
>
> Are you sure that evince.desktop is not in /usr/share/applications?  If
> not try locate evince.desktop

In fact, I have 2 of those:
gene at coyote:~$ locate evince.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/evince.desktop
/usr/share/applications/evince.desktop

> Not that this has anything to do with using it from firefox, you don't
> need a .desktop file for that.  Assuming it is installed then you
> should be able to select evince directly in firefox Preferences >
> Applications.  If necessary use
> which evince

gene at coyote:~$ which evince
/usr/bin/evince

> to find where it is installed.

I just reset it, using the 'other' selector, to evince.  It may be less
attackable since we have the src, or at least I'd hope. :)

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Every time I look at you I am more convinced of Darwin's theory.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...