firefox not using acroread

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 15 15:45:06 UTC 2012

On Saturday 15 December 2012 10:23:53 Nils Kassube did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > 10.04.4 32 bit here.
> >
> > How can I convince firefox to use acroread?
>
> Install the adobe reader from the Canonical repository, if you haven't
> done it already.

Past tense as in nearly 2 years ago, plus 2 or 3 updates since.

> Then edit the firefox preferences section
> "Applications". For the content type "PDF-Document" select the action
> "Use Adobe reader 9 (default)".

There was not a PDF-Document line, but there was a "Portable Document
Format (PDF)" line that was set to "view in firefox".  How it got that way
I haven't a clue.  I'll likely need to read one yet today, so we'll see if
setting it back (and I had to open the Other dialog and go find the
/usr/bin/acroread link, which it than marked as (default)).  Go figure...

> > Or if the reader has too
> > many security flaws, can this one be switched to one that actually
> > works?
>
> You could try Okular.

Even that would beat this "Preview in Firefox" thing to a non-viable pulp.
It is a bit odd, but ISTR it, like Acroread Just Works(TM).  But it is a
name whose funny spelling means that I can't remember it long enough to go
refill my coffee cup.  One of the things I learned in school 70 some years
ago, was how to spell most stuff.

Thanks, Nils, I think this may have fixed it.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once
build a nuclear balm?
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...