Has anyone seen anything about a release date for Linux Mint 14 64 Bit with KDE?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Dec 9 05:03:13 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 11:20 PM, AV3 wrote:
> On Dec/8/2012 5:3342 PM, Doug wrote:

>>> It is not a question of ease but of evolution. In the evolution of
>>> language, regular forms tend to push out "irregular" forms, where the
>>> irregular plurals in English nouns go back to forgotten borrowing from
>>> Latin and Greek. Undoubtedly you were an exceptionally good student of
>>> what you were taught, but you must recognize that old irregular forms
>>> become archaic, e. g., today "worked" instead of "wrought," "cows"
>>> instead of "kine."
>>>

>>> I did say "seems like intellectual snobbery," not "definitely is." But
>>> "rhinocerotes"? Teachers tended to promote keeping Latin and Greek
>>> plurals to validate the teaching of Latin and Greek. Today, all is
>>> lost, and evolution plunges ahead.
>>>

>> It must be about two years ago when this topic surfaced. someone pointed
>> out that the Romans had NO plural for forum,
>> probably because they only had one. So "fora" is spurious.
>>

> I find that difficult to believe. There were forums (forgive me,
> Liam!) in other cities, and they could certainly imagine them on Mount
> Olympus serving the gods, etc. So they needed a plural. Are you sure
> about that?

I'm just reporting what was determined back then.  The reason is just my
guess, but it was definitely reported that there is no known
Latin plural of forum, which is why dictionaries of English don't
(usually) report fora as the plural. I am certainly no expert--when I
got to Cicero
I bombed. On the other hand, I have heard it said that even the Roman
man-in-the-street would probably not have understood
Cicero's speeches.  I suppose bloviator is derived from (or perhaps
directly is) Latin--perhaps because of Cicero! I like bloviator: it
sounds so much more sophisticated than blowhard!

--doug