iptables

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:26:16 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 06:12 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2 problems remain.
>> 1. It sets up /etc/resolv.conf to use nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>      resumably, because dnsmasq is also running. However,
>>      nothing gets resolved, because dnsmasq (or networkManager)
>>      are not querying the AP for the DNS settings, and so there is
>>      no conf file for dnsmasq containing the actual nameservers' ip
>> addresses.
>>      So, at every boot, I have to change the IP address of nameserver from
>>      127.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.254
>> 2. The default route is  not being set either. When I run
>>      route -n
>>      it does not show the default route as my AP ip addres,
>>      so I have to manually do
>>      route add default gw 192.168.1.254
> For (1)
>
> Check that you have "dns=dnsmasq" in the "main" section of
> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf" for NM-dnsmasq integration.
Yes it is there.
> Check "/run" for "nm-dhclient<...>" and "nm-dnsmasq-<...>" and check
> "/run/resolvconf/".
>
> I installed xubuntu on a friend's netbook this morning and wifi worked
> out of the box with NM, dnsmasq, and resolvconf. "/etc/resolv.conf"
> should point to "127.0.1.1" not "127.0.0.1" (although it shouldn't
> *really* make a difference, but I haven't checked).
>
> For (2)
>
> The default gateway should be provided by dhclient.

Except, when I configured  my interfaces, I use manual and
not dhcp because all the other machines' scripts are coded
to talk to this machine using pre-specified IP addresses.

During configuration, I specify the ip addresses of the machine,
the netmask, the gateway and the dns server and the search domain.
I do this for both the wireless and the wired.

This is also important because the router is programmed to route
certain incoming requests on certain ports to the specific IP address
of this machine.