switch Unity back to Gnome

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:05:49 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 14:34, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
> I just did some googling and found, that you can switch Unity back to Gnome.
> For that purpose I went (following the instructions) to Ubuntu Software
> Center and installed
> * Gnome Shell
> * Gnome Shell Extensions Preferences
>
> After logging out / or restarting I was supposed to be able to choose
> either Unity or Gnome.

That is not the familiar GNOME 2 . It is GNOME 3, which is totally
different, although its Fallback or Classic Mode looks much like GNOME
2 albeit less customisable and not compatible with GNOME  2 applets.

If you want the classic GNOME 2 experience, try Maté.

> Yet, my computer ALWAYS comes up with Unity and does not give me any choice.
>
> Could somebody possibly direct to the setting/operation I missed?

It's an option on the login screen. If you have your PC set to
automatically log in, you will not see this.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884