switch Unity back to Gnome

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:02:38 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 14:34, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
> I just did some googling and found, that you can switch Unity back to Gnome.
> For that purpose I went (following the instructions) to Ubuntu Software
> Center and installed
> * Gnome Shell
> * Gnome Shell Extensions Preferences
>
> After logging out / or restarting I was supposed to be able to choose
> either Unity or Gnome.
> Yet, my computer ALWAYS comes up with Unity and does not give me any choice.
>
> Could somebody possibly direct to the setting/operation I missed?

Do you get a logon screen where you have to enter your password?  If
so then click on the cog next to your name (or somewhere thereabouts)
and you should be able to select which window manager you want.  If
you are automatically logged on then in System Settings > User
Accounts switch off automatic login.  Then logout and you should get
the option.

Colin