Workspaces and workspace switcher

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:55:49 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 03:47 PM, JD wrote:
> Dear all,
> I just for the first time installed ubuntu 12.10.
>
> I am for the most part very pleased with the experience as far
> as ease of operation.
>
> A few things about the desktop really bug me.
>
> It used to be that in order for me to switch to another
> workspace, all I hadto do is click on it's icon on the sidebar.
> Now, I have to use the switcher - 2 clicks per workspace.
> This is so gosh darned annoying, that it is almost a show
> stopper for me.
>
> 1. So, How can I have an auto-hidden
>     sidebar of workspaceicons that I can move my pointer
>     to and just click on the workspace I want to switch to?
>
> 2. Anotherissue is that even though I have downloaded compiz...
>      but it does not appear as an icon in System Settings.
>
>      So I tried the command line ccsm
>      When the GUI came up, non of it's categories or sub menus
>      provide any way to increase the number of workspaces
>      nor how to create an auto-hidden sidebar for the workspaces
>      (in order for me to obviate the dorky switcher).
>
>      I tried gconftool-2 as well and set the number of workspaces:
>      gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces --type=int 8
>      IT DOES NOT WORK!!!
>      In fact, there is NO file called
>      ~jd/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces
>
> I hope there is aseasoned gnome expert on this list
> that can elucidate howto do this.

I usually just add the XFCE desktop to avoid ALL of those nuisances. I
just installed 12.10 fresh, and using the Unity desktop drove me crazy
until I added xfce and logged into it. But, getting nvidia drivers
working took over an hour. It didn't work for me out of the box. 12.04
is more solid in that respect. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html