ATI Radeon 7000

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:47:21 UTC 2012

Hi, all.

I'm contemplating installing 64 bit Ubuntu on a Poweredge 1850.

I booted from the 12.04 Live CD & it ran pretty well. The only odd thing
was that alt-ctrl-arrow-keys did not function for the workspace switcher
which is a pretty major fault.

I moved on to the 12.10 Live CD & Compiz had serious issues: apps
wouldn't launch, Compiz repeatedly crashed & it was basically unusable.

Upon subsequently Googling the problem, I saw that the Radeon drivers
for 12.10 weren't available as yet but there was a kind of muddled
consensus that 12.04 was OK.

Whilst I realise that the 1850 is a server, I need a GUI for certain
parts of this particular project so does anybody have any experience of
running a Radeon 7000 card on the stock Unity release of 12.04 or is
using a spin like LXDE or similar my best option?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical, OS