Lost email

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Dec 4 18:01:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 17:19 +0000, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> Do you have any links to a reliable guide on how to set this up on
> Ubuntu 12.04 server? I have a cloud vps that is vastly underused just
> running Gitlab at the moment, so I'd like to give it a try & if it works
> OK for me I can either spin up another vps or just use an old Poweredge
> 650 I've got lying about gathering dust.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Phil...

On my little home server setup, it looks like all I did was install
dovecot, then set up the protocols I wanted to use which is very near
the top of the config file. In the config file it suggests looking at
http://wiki.dovecot.org/QuickConfiguration

Elsewhere, it says that dovecot is pretty good at finding your email and
serving it up to you when your client logs in, so I didn't do anything
else I think and it "just works". The mail on my server account is in
~/Maildir.

Of course you'll also want to be able to receive email and for that I
used postfix to provide an SMTP server. That requires somewhat more
configuration work, such as setting up your alias database.

It's a little while ago now, but I believe you configure postfix to do
the maildir stuff. Line 4 in my config file is
home_mailbox = Maildir/

Hope this helps give you some clues....

Dave