Lost email

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:34:41 UTC 2012

On 4 December 2012 17:19, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 01:31 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 08:01 -0500, terry at leetuckert.net wrote:
>>> Greetings:
>>>
>>> I have moved from Kubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04. I was using Kmail and
>>> made a backup of all that using akonaditray. I have the file but I am
>>> not able to import it into Kmail on Ubuntu 12.04. Does anyone have any
>>> pointers to help solve this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks...
>>
>> Stop using client software to store your email and move it all to an
>> IMAP server. The advantages are numerous.
>>
>> I made the move a couple of years ago and have no regrets.
>
> Do you have any links to a reliable guide on how to set this up on
> Ubuntu 12.04 server? I have a cloud vps that is vastly underused just
> running Gitlab at the moment, so I'd like to give it a try & if it works
> OK for me I can either spin up another vps or just use an old Poweredge
> 650 I've got lying about gathering dust.

What exactly is the question here?

Are you asking how to install an IMAP server, or how to configure a
mail client to use IMAP, or how to move existing mail stores over to
IMAP?

By VPS you mean "virtual private server", as in, one hosted for you at
an ISP or something, right? Can you choose your own OS for your VPSs
or just pick from a list they give you?

If you can choose your own - or you want to do a test run on your own
Dell box - then I find Zentyal a nice easy way to get an email server
up and running with little hassle, and it's based on Ubuntu. If you
don't want to or can't use Zentyal on your VPS, then you could run it
locally and work out what IMAP server it uses and so on and then just
recreate that config by hand on bare Ubuntu Server.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884