Update Problems

Dave Henley dhenley1 at live.com
Thu Aug 23 09:32:15 UTC 2012

Ok, so status so far is that I got every package uninstalled and marked for reinstallation except the samba-common-bin.
When issuing a apt-get update and upgrade I end up with the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/6,153 kB of archives.
After this operation, 14.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Setting up samba-common-bin (2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.1) ...
update-alternatives: error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/net corrupt: line not terminated while trying to read status
dpkg: error processing samba-common-bin (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

A cat of the /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/net looks like this:


I already checked my hard drive for any errors, nothing found. What to do to wrap this up and reinstall all packages properly?


Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:06:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Update Problems
From: joelol75 at gmail.com
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
CC: lproven at gmail.com

I would try some stuff....  Be careful, if it looks like a step will remove many packages.. cancel it.

First i would love to see the output of:
cat /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-www-browser
If it looks like there's corrupted crap in there I would garner as much info about what browsers are in it if possible and recreate it.  Just because you have konqueror doesn't make a ubuntu/kubuntu plahplah whatever.  My install started with Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, I then installed Mate, kde, unity, gnome-shell and more. I changed to kdm from lightdm and allowed some config files to rename 'Mint' to 'Ubuntu' so what distro should I call it?  Anyway... back on topic.  My file lists as:










Ok. To specify in exactness, 'auto' is on the very first line, and there seems to be 3 empty lines after the last '40' if it matters.
If yours is messed up, I would at least put the browser you will use in there.  The first entry '/usr/bin/x-www-browser' is a symlink on my system pointing to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser which on listing this file is a launcher script for chromium.  I set this as default browser so I assume that is why that generic link is there as 1st entry.  I have no idea why konquror gets a 30 instead of 40...

Anyway. After that maybe i'd try
sudo dpkg --reconfigure -a
Followed by the apt-get install -f again,  followed by seeing how bad the damage would be with an:
sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox firefox-branding firefox-globalmenu firefox-gnome-support konqueror samba-common-bin nautilus-share
Then try reinstalling.  
File corruption is odd and worry some.  Flaky ram.  Ssd/hdd fritzen out, too high of overclock, bad sata cables, mobo on the way out, high amounts of gamma radiation from the current solar maximum penetrating the earths magnetosphere..  Every time I see that more than once on the same system [after complete rewipes and distros]  

Anyway, hope ya sort it.  Ohhh btw, firefox settings are in your home directory [hidden .mozilla or .firefox directory iirc]  just rename or copy it before purge.  I would worry more about borked dpkg than losing firefox settings.

Good luck in your endeavors.

ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20120823/3a717c89/attachment.html>

More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list