Update Problems

Joel Oliver joelol75 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 01:06:21 UTC 2012

I would try some stuff....  Be careful, if it looks like a step will remove
many packages.. cancel it.

First i would love to see the output of:

cat /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-www-browser

If it looks like there's corrupted crap in there I would garner as much
info about what browsers are in it if possible and recreate it.  Just
because you have konqueror doesn't make a ubuntu/kubuntu plahplah
whatever.  My install started with Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, I then installed
Mate, kde, unity, gnome-shell and more. I changed to kdm from lightdm and
allowed some config files to rename 'Mint' to 'Ubuntu' so what distro
should I call it?  Anyway... back on topic.  My file lists as:

auto
/usr/bin/x-www-browser
x-www-browser.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/x-www-browser.1.gz

/usr/bin/chromium-browser
40

/usr/bin/firefox
40

/usr/bin/konqueror
30
/usr/share/man/man1/konqueror.1.gz
/usr/bin/rekonq
40

Ok. To specify in exactness, 'auto' is on the very first line, and there
seems to be 3 empty lines after the last '40' if it matters.

If yours is messed up, I would at least put the browser you will use in
there.  The first entry '/usr/bin/x-www-browser' is a symlink on my system
pointing to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser which on listing this file is a
launcher script for chromium.  I set this as default browser so I assume
that is why that generic link is there as 1st entry.  I have no idea why
konquror gets a 30 instead of 40...

Anyway. After that maybe i'd try

sudo dpkg --reconfigure -a

Followed by the apt-get install -f again,  followed by seeing how bad the
damage would be with an:

sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox firefox-branding firefox-globalmenu
firefox-gnome-support konqueror samba-common-bin nautilus-share

Then try reinstalling.

File corruption is odd and worry some.  Flaky ram.  Ssd/hdd fritzen out,
too high of overclock, bad sata cables, mobo on the way out, high amounts
of gamma radiation from the current solar maximum penetrating the earths
magnetosphere..  Every time I see that more than once on the same system
[after complete rewipes and distros]

Anyway, hope ya sort it.  Ohhh btw, firefox settings are in your home
directory [hidden .mozilla or .firefox directory iirc]  just rename or copy
it before purge.  I would worry more about borked dpkg than losing firefox
settings.

Good luck in your endeavors.