gnome-applet-volume-control is a huge usability regression

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 18:18:19 UTC 2012

On 19 August 2012 19:07, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 19 August 2012 14:00:26 Liam Proven did opine:
>
>> On 19 August 2012 18:27, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Have I the only 10-04.4 LTS system on the planet that does this?
>>
>> Yes, I suspect you are.
>>
>> Is this, once again, your machine running the ancient kernel with the
>> realtime patch?
>
> Yes, 2.6.32-122-rtai
>
> I should add that I have this same install on 2 of the D525MW motherboards,
> and have not observed this alternate user on reboot thing behaviour on
> them, although they don't run kmail either.
>
> I also have it installed on my laptop, an elderly HP with a single core 64
> bit turion brain, which I occasionally use on the road for email &
> browsing, but its been 2-3 months since it was booted & likely numerous
> updates behind.

I've said this before, but my suggestion is:

By all means, keep the RT kernel on your milling-machine-control box,
but on the others, that don't need to be R/T hard, then please,
please, upgrade them to the linux-generic-lts-backport-oneiric kernel
and then do an apt-get dist-upgrade on them. I'm sure of your problems
will just go away if you do.

You'll still be running the same OS on all the machines.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884