gnome-applet-volume-control is a huge usability regression

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Aug 19 14:38:28 UTC 2012

On 19-08-12 13:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 19 August 2012 06:39:59 Colin Law did opine:
>
>> On 19 August 2012 11:02, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> Ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS
>>>
>>> Some so-called update in the last 2 weeks has moved the system volume
>>> control from my keyboard, to a teeny little icon in the notifier
>>> applet.
Gene,I have ubuntu 1o.04 also on a phenom II system (self-build). After
a lot of problems with gnome - and especially the unity disaster - I
installed xfce as GUI which is fully updated and the problems you
describe are, in my opinion, typically gnome-related as the
Ubuntu-developers are apparently not so familiar any more with gnome-II.
On another system (my wife's) I have xubuntu 12.04 installed, also fully
updated and there is also no problem with sound. However, my Logitec
speaker-system conveniently has a volume knob and even a switch to kill
sound instantly.
Joep