Problems with repartitioning a HP Pavilion Laptop

Kaj Haulrich kaj.haulrich at adslhome.dk
Sat Aug 18 18:47:06 UTC 2012

On 08/18/2012 07:47 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> On 08/17/2012 09:56 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 08/17/2012 01:14 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>>> <  snip>

>>> I was afraid I might run into this.  There is no indication that UEFA is
>>> the problem.  I looked into the BIOS etc.  Does anybody know more about
>>> this?  Where, other than HP tech support, can I find if it is on my
>>> laptop, (it was purchased in late May).   By the way, the Windows
>>> version is Windows 7, so presumably the OS does not support UEFI.  It
>>> still could be in the hardware, just unused.
>>>

>> HP bios and Win7 have supported UEFI for quite a few years.
>> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+7+%2B+uefi+%2B+hp+dv6>
>
> So, if you are correct, UEFI might be on my computer.  I've looked in
> the BIOS and saw nothing that suggests that UEFI is present.  Of course,
> it just might mean that there is no BIOS setting or information about
> UEFI.  Is there any way I can find if UEFI is present and can it be
> disabled if present.

Well, if you can see a BIOS menu right after power-on, you probably do
not have EFI (UEFI). The HP variant of UEFI on my box comes up with
fancy colors, graffiti-like drawings and whatnot. The UEFI menu is
different from a traditional BIOS menu as well, but there is an option
for boot order. In there, it gives the option of booting from UEFI
sources (like CD, USN, hard drive etc.) or legacy sources of the same kind.

Honestly, I hate this EFI with a vengeance. It clearly isn't mature:
sometimes I must do a hard reset in order to bring up the menu,
sometimes it beeps until the menu comes up, sometimes not. And - of
course - most options could as well be written i Arabic, and there's no
further help available. But then again, I have only fiddled with
computers for 26 years...

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.10 ---------