2 different distros using same /home with same user

Hazan Pérez hapk02 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:06:19 UTC 2012

El lun 06 ago 2012 10:58:02 COT, Liam Proven escribió:
> On 6 August 2012 16:52, Hazan Pérez <hapk02 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ended up installing Linux Mint. I did everything Ric said, with the added
>> nuisance of putting an empty folder into the folder of the same name, but
>> that's ok. Also the GRUB from Mint was a bit foolish and didn't recognized
>> Fedora in the other partition :/
>>
>> BTW, does someone know how to make what Ric said into a script? there are
>> some other folders that I'd like to link as default in other distros if I
>> ever decide to install more. I'm not proficient in bash but would like to
>> make this more automatic.
>
> I really wouldn't.
>
> Better, if you want to do this routinely, to keep your data on a
> server or in a shared data partition.
>
> As I said, you /can/ mix & match distros with a single user A/C & home
> dir, & I've done it, but you need to know what you're doing. If you
> don't, I do not recommend it. Keep your data elsewhere. If it's on the
> same box, & you have a severe OS crash or failure during installation,
> you can loose the lot to disk corruption.
>
> (DAMHIKIJK, OK?)
>
> So, for real safety & resilience, keep your  data on a server. Ideally
> on a RAID.

I'm planning on doing that in the near future (have a server), but
haven't decided on what infrastructure or even how to configure to meet
all our needs (it wouldn't be just for me, but for all the people, and
the PCs, of this house)

What would you think would be a good infrastructure and/or config?
Whoops, I guess that's a question better to be asked on the ubuntu
developers list, or in another thread.

--

Hazan Pérez C.
Twisto Creative