2 different distros using same /home with same user

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 15:58:02 UTC 2012

On 6 August 2012 16:52, Hazan Pérez <hapk02 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ended up installing Linux Mint. I did everything Ric said, with the added
> nuisance of putting an empty folder into the folder of the same name, but
> that's ok. Also the GRUB from Mint was a bit foolish and didn't recognized
> Fedora in the other partition :/
>
> BTW, does someone know how to make what Ric said into a script? there are
> some other folders that I'd like to link as default in other distros if I
> ever decide to install more. I'm not proficient in bash but would like to
> make this more automatic.

I really wouldn't.

Better, if you want to do this routinely, to keep your data on a
server or in a shared data partition.

As I said, you /can/ mix & match distros with a single user A/C & home
dir, & I've done it, but you need to know what you're doing. If you
don't, I do not recommend it. Keep your data elsewhere. If it's on the
same box, & you have a severe OS crash or failure during installation,
you can loose the lot to disk corruption.

(DAMHIKIJK, OK?)

So, for real safety & resilience, keep your  data on a server. Ideally
on a RAID.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884