2 different distros using same /home with same user

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 08:32:14 UTC 2012

On 08/05/2012 12:12 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 05/08/12 13:18, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 08/04/2012 11:01 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I know that. What I wanted to know is what does the symlink look
>>> like and where is it placed - eg, simply in the "emtpy" newly created
>>> Documents directory as a link "@......." pointing to the
>>> opt/ric/Documents directory on the other drive or what? :-)
>>
>> Oh heck that response was backgrounded, just lurking unsent. I just
>> hit send on it. Ric
>
> OK, I just read your post to Hazan re this :-) .
>
> But I have 2 other blinding questions :-) :
>
> why did you pick on the directory /opt? any specific reason or any
> directory name would do? For example, I mount my 2nd HDD in fstab as
> /data so I could use /data/Documents, eg, in the symlnk?; and
>
> /opt is totally owned and controlled by root.root. What magic do you
> perform to be able to read/write/execute your user files? (or am I
> missing something here?)

I just chowned those directories ric:ric ---my username.

Since /opt is just sitting there and as I wrote, it's where Caldera put
the licensed and proprietary stuff, and served the same purpose as
/usr/local, it's what I use. It's cleanly out of the way of /usr
...which sometimes gets mounted to it's own partition or drive. Plus, it
has éclat. It's where stuff can be put that has no other rightful home.
:) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html