2 different distros using same /home with same user

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 5 04:12:32 UTC 2012

On 05/08/12 13:18, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 08/04/2012 11:01 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know that. What I wanted to know is what does the symlink look
>> like and where is it placed - eg, simply in the "emtpy" newly created
>> Documents directory as a link "@......." pointing to the
>> opt/ric/Documents directory on the other drive or what? :-)
>
> Oh heck that response was backgrounded, just lurking unsent. I just
> hit send on it. Ric

OK, I just read your post to Hazan re this :-) .

But I have 2 other blinding questions :-) :

why did you pick on the directory /opt? any specific reason or any
directory name would do? For example, I mount my 2nd HDD in fstab as
/data so I could use /data/Documents, eg, in the symlnk?; and

/opt is totally owned and controlled by root.root. What magic do you
perform to be able to read/write/execute your user files? (or am I
missing something here?)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.0-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor