Sun Java

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Tue Apr 24 19:53:40 UTC 2012

I have a fresh install of Lubuntu.

I have a program that requires (Oricle) Sun Java.

I went to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

It said:

JRE only
Only supports Oracle (Sun) Java 6 JRE (which covers the needs of 99 % of
all computer users). It pulls the packages from Oracle's website and
installs them, comparable to the way Adobe Flash Player is being
installed.

      * http://www.duinsoft.nl/packages.php?t=en

So I followed the link.

And followed these instructions:
Repository
The repository provides a Debian package with the script and the same
support files as in the support tarball. Setting things up is a bit more
work, but the script will be properly integrated in your system.
Additional advantages: a possibly installed out-of-date sun-java6
installation will be removed completely and if you keep the software
source in your list, you will automatically receive updates of the
script. The procedure:

      * put the line
        deb http://www.duinsoft.nl/pkg debs all
        in the file /etc/apt/sources.list, either using Software Sources
        from your System Menu or by editing the file in an editor (as
        root)
        or:
        put this line in a file named (e.g.) duinsoft.list in the
        directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d
      * import the gpg key with the command (all on one line)
        sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 5CB26B26
      * enter the commands (two lines)
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre
        or use Synaptic to install the package
      * installation of the Runtime Environment will follow
        automatically

Using the script apt-add-repository -available for Ubuntu- is not
advisable because that script makes a few incorrect assumptions.
The keyserver keys.gnupg.net mentioned above is just an example. You can
use any reliable keyserver.

I think I did all this right.

So I tested.

kip at k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ java -version
The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
 * gcj-4.4-jre-headless
 * openjdk-6-jre-headless
 * cacao
 * gij-4.3
 * jamvm

This looks like OpenJDK not Sun-6-java.

So thinking something was wrong, I tried the apt-get again.

kip at k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
update-sun-jre is already the newest version.
required:
  libdmraid1.0.0.rc16 libicu42 libdiscover2 python-pyicu discover
cryptsetup
  libecryptfs0 reiserfsprogs rdate openbsd-inetd localechooser-data
  ecryptfs-utils libdebconfclient0 discover-data dmraid
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 289 not upgraded.

So it says it was already installed.

Reading the documentation again, it said I had to choose the right one
to use if multiple ones were installed.

kip at k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
[sudo] password for kip:
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for java.

So now I am stuck. It looks like I have openjdk installed, but apt-get
says sun-jre is installed, and it says only one java is installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Kip