Virtual Box with Win 7 possible at *Ubuntu running at a laptop with 2 GB RAM?

Bas Roufs - message in English basroufs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:02:53 UTC 2012

Hello Everybody

Thanks, Compdoc, for your useful feedback.
> I would give the Windows 7 VM 1 Gig of ram, (leaving the laptop 1 Gig) if
> you use them both and switch back and forth often. They should be able to
> run in one gig of ram each.

This sounds reasonable. I am considering to use such settings  during certain
working sessions: e.g.. when I need to check how a website I am working at,
looks in IE9. However.... see below.

> Or, you can give Windows 7 more ram, (such as
> 1.5 Gigs) if you are mainly using Windows 7 and then shutting it off
> afterwards. That will release the ram back to the laptop.

It is the other way around. I mainly use Kubuntu in my case. In about 1 to 5 %
of my working sessions, I need to go "back and forth", as you would put it.
When examining today Virtual Box more carefully, I remarked that it is
possible to change settings all the time via the menu SYSTEM.  That why, I am
considering to act as follows:
to leave the RAM usage settings at 512 MB most of the time;
to change the RAM usage settings to 1 GB at the occasion of each "back and
forth" working session;
to limit the use of other intense, memory consuming packages during such
working sessions.
My question is: can I act like this without wrecking up or damaging something?
This is it for now. Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.

--
Bas G. Roufs MA