^ character in konsole (KDE)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 02:28:49 UTC 2012

On 13 April 2012 02:58, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

>  I've never seen a
> command that used a foreign character, but I believe that some complicated
> bash commands use the ^ by itself,
> so you shouldn't even need a compose key for that.

It doesn't need to be /that/ complicated - e.g.

lproven at blackbox-2:/usr$ ls -la | grep ^d

... gives a list of entries in that directory that start with a "d",
i.e., which are directories.

But you are using a keyboard layout which doesn't have dead keys. The
problem Fernando was describing doesn't happen on keyboards without
dead keys.

A bit more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_keys

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884