Symmetric Encryption

user1 bqz69 at telia.com
Sun Apr 8 17:24:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:34:20 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:

> This is a follow on from a question I asked late September about what
> turned out to be seahorse-plugin, for decrypting a backup tar file by
> right-clicking it in Nautilus.
>
> What I now want to do is the opposite - apply symmetric encryption to a
> backup file I just created. KDE has the facility incorporated in kgpg.
>
> Google located a question from a couple of years back, asking when it's
> going to be implemented, but that's all I can find.
>
> Can anybody help me with this one please?
>
> Dave

How to encrypt a file using gpg with symmetric encryption

I got symmetric encryption and decryption to work:

To encrypt a file (example file) called file.txt:

$ gpg -c file.txt (result file.txt.gpg)

To decrypt the file:

$ gpg file.txt.gpg  (NO -d option)

I get this warning message:

gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

but it works

In order to be able to use long passwords with copy and paste I had to
install pinentry-qt and uninstall the other pinentry-* versions