Nvidia Driver naming: confused

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 23:12:23 UTC 2012

On 04/05/2012 08:57 AM, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have hold back asking the following question but it am very curious
> about it.
>
> I am running UBUNTU 11.10 with a Nvidia based graphics card.
> Over the past time (years ?) I have seen discussions about the nv and
> 'nouveau' drivers.
>
> However when I open 'additional drivers' from System Settings I get 2
> choices which seem identical:
>
>   * NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver [recommended]
>     and
>   * NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver [post-release updates]
>
> The descriptions with these drivers are identical...
>
> Which driver is this ? NV ? Nouveau ?
> Both ? One of them and the second with the latest bug-fixes ?

Jockey just deals with the Proprietary Drivers ...which for you are the
nVidia drivers. Plain ole synaptic can install Nouveau and nv. Nv works,
Nouveau to me is just so much wasted effort, if it can't enable
acceleration reliably. We've got nVidia, they play nice with us, and
99.99% of the time it just works. I'd leave them be, as there are many
other things that could use fixing. That's just my two cents. But, when
I do a fresh install, Nouveau gets installed by default and you make
merry Hell trying to get rid of it. I too would much prefer nv as the
fallback. It just works in 2D land. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html