[ADMIN] Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Sep 27 18:41:18 UTC 2011

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:25:10 +0100
> Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:
>
> > > Oh, wait, Ubuntu is the Linux for Human Beings except for you and
> > > you and...
> >
> > Nobody's stopping anyone using it.
>
> ...yet.  What do you think moderation is all about?  Friendliness?
> Hardly, someone who shall remain nameless has decided that some
> viewpoints aren't desirous and are attempting to stop their
> dissemination.  What else can it possibly be for?

No.

A couple of years ago, this list was useless. I could subscribe to it,
but each day I'd add around thirty threads to my ignore list, and
anything more than about ten messages long probably no longer resembled
the subject line.

For a wonderful, but short, period, I could check my mail, see a
readable number of messages in my inbox and actually follow the list -
respond to people's questions, learn things from other people's
answers. Even when the traffic was high, I could almost guarantee that
any thread with an interesting-looking subject line was both
interesting and about that subject.

Then they closed -sounder (which, no, is not something I wanted to
happen) and for some reason half the contents of -sounder decided that
-user was where they were supposed to come. And the list reverted to
being high-traffic with a ridiculously bad signal to noise ratio. I'm
no longer really following this list because I don't have time. I
suspect I am not in the minority.

The idea of moderation is to bring the list back to being useful.
There's no point hosting a technical support list if it offers nobody
any support because instead it is full of witty quips and in-jokes.

> BTW, where are Karl Larson, Space Ghost, Res, ...?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard -can y ou say, "moderated away?"

Yes. That's what moderation is for. People who do not contribute to the
list are encouraged to not detract from it.

I'm having trouble understanding your opposition to this, really.

--
Avi