[ADMIN] Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Sep 27 18:35:38 UTC 2011

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:00:44 -0700
> Pastor JW <pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org> wrote
> > Hopefully it would stop those 100 post long nonsense and off topic
> > treads we now see so much of.  Because of the work load, I'd vote
> > for the plural on the moderator(s) question.  A good helpful list
> > shouldn't need to be filled with noise all the time.  It renders the
> > list as worthless as Google and it ruins the helpful part. Then too,
> > the noise factor bogs the new users down in their quest to actually
> > learn how something works.
> >
> If that's your feeling, why haven't /you/ been telling folks off for
> OT posts?  Why delegate authority to another who may have (/probably/
> has) a different agenda than that which is shown publicly?

Because that would add yet further to the useless and off topic posts,
and cause the thread to descend, as this surely will, to repeated
demands for the fulfilment of some apparent universal human right to
access to a canonical-hosted off-topic mailing list.

> My own experience is that, if a list needs moderation, the list
> members themselves will take care of it, either through ignoring the
> noise-makers or chastising them.  Failing that, moderation only chases
> away the good help, the ones who won't put up with nannies and /good
> momma/ moderation.

I don't think particularly active moderation is likely to be needed for
more than a month or so. There's only a few users who habitually post
off-topic replies, and I suspect that the intended effect is precisely
for them to leave, and let the list return to its previously rather
useful state.

Really, the object of this excercise is probably to make more certain
that the rump of -sounder doesn't insist on staying here.

> I've seen it go just that way on a good many lists so far, Sounder
> included, and imagine this one will go to the dogs pretty quickly if
> moderation is imminent.

Sounder wasn't broken by moderation, it was closed because Canonical no
longer saw a reason to host a non-ubuntu-related list. They have even
more justification, in my opinion, to want to stop this one becoming
another not-ubuntu-related list.

> People /will/ talk, and about what they wish.  Adults don't need
> baby-sitting, no matter the fears of those in 'control'.

This list was perfectly useful without all the off topic posts before
-sounder went. I really don't think we need those 'Adults' who are
incapable of remaining on-topic in a support list.

> Cybe R. Wizard -prefers freedom to intellectual brow-beating

There's no intellectual brow-beating going on. There's just moves to
make this list something that's worth subscribing to for someone who is
looking for a list matching the nominal description of this one.

--
Avi