U11.10 Screen Refresh Rate

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 26 07:02:32 UTC 2011

On 26 September 2011 01:19, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 12:28 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 25 September 2011 19:54, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> How do I go about changing my refresh rate, from 60 to 75,
>>> permanently? I read some suggesting changing a startup script and
>>> using xrandr to switch while others suggested using xorg.conf, which
>>> is not present and I do not wish to use for purist sake. Are there
>>> more ways to change rates?
>>>
>>> Does X detect the optimal rates (with a + sign) every time it starts
>>> or does it use a preconfigured source?
>>>
>>> In U11.04, I note that the Monitor Setting GUI has an option to
>>> configure the rate. Does it use xrandr in a startup script to set it
>>> too?
>>
>> 11.10 has the monitor settings GUI also to do this.  In System
>> Settings > Monitors I think, or it may be Screens or Displays I forget
>> which.
>
> Actually 11.10 does not (at least not in the most recently updated
> (today) version that I use for testing in VirtualBox. The only settings are:
> - Resolution
> - Rotation
> Does yours show something different?

No you are right, it is not there (not now anyway).  Strictly my
statement could be interpreted as correct if read in the sense that
11.10 does have the monitor settings gui and one of the purposes of
this is to set the refresh rate, the fact that it does not appear is
presumably a bug.  I was sure I had seen it there but probably I was
confused about which version I was booted into at the time.

@OP: I have had a look in launchpad and cannot find it reported as a
bug (though NoOp seems much better than I at finding bugs there so he
might have more luck) so I suggest reporting it.

Of course it is possible that this is a case of the s/w designers
deciding that they know best how to determine the optimum refresh rate
and have decided not to give us easy access to it.  I must admit that
it is a long time since I had to manually tweak this myself.

@OP again, out of interest why do you want to change the rate?

Colin