New motherboard Biostar A780L3L CD-ROM DRIVE Connection???

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 19:55:58 UTC 2011

On 24 September 2011 20:50, Larry Shields <larryesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/24/2011 01:30 PM, compdoc wrote:
>>>
>>> Guess I am out of luck on using it the way I had it prior...
>>
>> Yes, computer equipment evolves rapidly. You're lucky to even have a
>> floppy
>> controller on that board - many new motherboards do not have them now.
>>
>> Because hard drives can fail as time goes by, and because IDE can be slow,
>> you're better off replacing the IDE drives with faster SATA drives.
>>
>> Many SATA drives are energy efficient so use less power. IDE cables are
>> bad
>> for air flow within the case.
>>
>> I'm sure it won't be long before the IDE connector is gone from future
>> motherboards...
>>

> *Well I have to agree, you buy a new computer and in a very short period of
> time it is outdated by something new...
> My EIDE Hard drives are in healthy condition right now, so I plan on using
> then until I need to buy a new one, also I do have a 500 gb SATA drive, so
> when I bought that I had learned that they came out with this new type of
> drive, and like it very much...
>
> I called a tech fellow at tigerdirect and told him about my problem of not
> having but only one IDE Slot, guess what they are sending me a *
> *Bridge Board - SATA to IDE for FREE!!!, so as soon as it arrives, I then
> can hook up my CD & DVD players...

That's handy, but I have one of those myself and I never got it
working. Only cost me $4-$5 or so, so it was not a big loss, but there
is a /reason/ I suggested either a $10 EIDE controller or a $30 SATA
drive.

If you want to keep using your old EIDE drives, put them into external
USB caddies and use them as backup drives. You can't have too many
backups!

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com