Read Windows Live File Format CD on Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 24 17:37:41 UTC 2011

On 09/24/2011 09:22 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> I have a friend who uses Windows 7 (I have not managed to convert him
> yet) who is asking for help burning CDs.
> [1] explains that there are two formats that can be used when burning,
> Mastered and Live File Format (of which there are several versions).
> If he uses Live File Format will I be able to read the CD under
> Ubuntu?  I was surprised to find that Google did not help me.  He is
> remote so I cannot try it and see.
>
> Colin
>
> [1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Which-CD-or-DVD-format-should-I-use

Found this:
<http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/augment-your-data-storage-options-with-windows-7-live-file-system-format/4265>

<quote>
To begin, it is important to understand that the Windows 7’s version of
the Live File System is readable only by Windows 7, Vista, and XP
systems. Furthermore, the Live File System works differently with the
various types of optical discs.
</quote>

I've Win7 & will give one a try later today to see if I can read it on
Ubuntu.